Medication recall are typically addressed in this order.
1. Many patients REPORT an adverse effect to Provider and Lawyer
2. Patients, Families begin legal action
3. FDA start inquiry
4. Drug companies and FDA complete a risk analysis ( will not pull the the drug of only a few people got sick or died-sorry legal or illegal drugs are big money)
5. If they choose to recall, the recall is classified
6. Recall notifications are done by Health Care Providers, Pharmacist and Drug Manufactures
This website is a good resource