Mayor Lovely A. Warren announced that Cool Sweep operations will be in effect today, Thursday, July 11, 2019, to provide residents with opportunities to get relief from the heat with cooling sprays from fire hydrants and extended hours at Genesee Valley Park Pool. Spray Parks will be open normal hours. Cool Sweep – presented by Avangrid Foundation and RG&E – is the City’s annual public safety and customer service program that is triggered when the forecast calls for temperatures to reach or exceed 85 degrees and runs through August 24.
Cool Sweep takes place at the following locations and times:
Hydrant Location (noon to 4 p.m.):
- Baden Park, Vienna Street gateway
Spray Parks (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
- Carter Street R-Center, 500 Carter St.
- Campbell Street R-Center, 524 Campbell St.
- Edgerton R-Center, 41 Backus St.
- Humboldt R-Center, 1045 Atlantic Ave.
- David F. Gantt R-Center, 700 North St.
- Thomas P. Ryan R-Center, 530 Webster Ave.
- Roxie Sinkler R-Center, 75 Grover St.
Spray Features – (not a full spray park, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
- Fourth and Peck Playground, Corner of Fourth and Peck Streets
- Martin Luther King Jr. Park playground, 353 Court St. (Residents are asked NOT to wade in the fountains)
- Troup Street Park, Troup Street and Van Auker Street (between Reynolds Street and Ford Street)
Swimming Opportunities and Hours of Operation:
- Avenue D R-Center Pool: Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., 200 Avenue D
- Freddie Thomas High School: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., 625 Scio St.
- Flint Street R-Center Pool: Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., 271 Flint St.
- Genesee Valley Park Pool: Seven days a week, noon to 9 p.m., 131 Elmwood Ave.
- Adams Street R-Center: Monday through Friday, Noon to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., 85 Adams Street.
Cool Sweep and Cool Sweep Heat Emergency details may be found at www.cityofrochester.gov/coolsweep, or by calling the Genesee Valley Park Pool at 428-7888.