In a new way to scam people, hackers are now targeting Venmo users with a phone call. Here is how the scam is working: the scammer may try to sign into your account and encounter Venmo’s multi-factor authentication process, which requires the person signing in to enter a code sent to the phone number on the Venmo account. “Venmo” will then call you and say they need you to provide them with the code.
Important things to keep in mind about Venmo:
- Venmo will never ask to access your device remotely.
- Venmo will never ask you to install a third-party app.
- Venmo will never create an account on your behalf.
- Venmo will never direct you to send money from your Venmo account to another user via a different payment platform.
- Venmo will never ask you to send money to “verify” your account.
Any sign of scammers should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: 13 WHAM