Heat Emergency Continues Sunday, Carter Street R-Center, Phillis Wheatley Library Open as Cooling Centers
(Saturday, June 30, 2018) – Mayor Lovely A. Warren has initiated a Cool Sweep Heat Emergency operation that continues through tomorrow, Sunday, July 1, in anticipation of forecasted temperatures exceeding 90 degrees. In addition to spray parks, pools and hydrants, the Carter Street R-Center and Phillis Wheatley Library will have facilities open as cooling centers to provide residents relief from the heat.
Cool Sweep — presented by Avangrid Foundation and RG&E — is the City’s annual public safety and customer service program that is triggered when the forecast calls for excessive heat.
Cool Sweep Heat Emergency operations for Sunday take place at the following locations and times:
(For information on today’s operations, visit www.cityofrochester.gov/
Heat Emergency Cooling Locations:
• Carter Street R-Center gym (noon to 8 p.m.), 500 Carter St.
• Phillis Wheatley Library (2 to 6 p.m.), 33 Dr. Samuel McCree Way
Hydrant Locations (noon to 4 p.m.):
• #41 School parking lot, 279 W. Ridge Rd.
• Baden Park, Vienna Street gateway
Spray Parks (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Carter Street R-Center, 500 Carter St.
• Campbell Street R-Center 524 Campbell St.
• Edgerton R-Center, 41 Backus St.
• Humboldt R-Center, 1045 Atlantic Ave.
• David F. Gantt R-Center, 700 North St.
• Thomas P. Ryan R-Center, 530 Webster Ave.
• Roxie Sinkler R-Center, 75 Grover St.
Spray Features – (not a full spray park, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Fourth and Peck Playground, Corner of Fourth and Peck Streets
• Martin Luther King Jr. Park playground, 353 Court St.
• Troup Street Park, Troup Street and Van Auker Street (between Reynolds Street and Ford Street)
Swimming Opportunities and Hours of Operation:
• Durand Eastman Beach (11 to 7 p.m.), Lake Shore Blvd. & Kings Highway N.
• Genesee Valley Park Pool (noon to 9 p.m.), 131 Elmwood Ave.
If outside, residents are reminded to stay safe by drinking plenty of fluids, wearing loose fitting clothes, and taking frequent breaks while working. Please bring pets inside and do not leaven them in hot vehicles for any amount of time.
Cool Sweep and Cool Sweep Heat Emergency details may be found at www.cityofrochester.gov/