103.9 FM WDKX
Your #1 Radio for R&B
What's Playing Now
What Played Earlier Today
103.9 WDKX Live
REQUEST A SONG!
Request A Song
Happy New Year Everyone!
2012 was a great year for music! With new artists such as A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, and 2 Chainz stepping into the game along veteran artists like Lil Wayne, Kanye West, and Rick Ross; we are excited to see what 2013 has in store. There will be several albums released this year from some of our favorite artists, so I have made a list of 5 of the most anticipated albums dropping in 2013.
1) J. Cole's, Born Sinner - J. Cole has always been one of my favorite artists since his mixtape, 'The Warm Up', which dropped back in 2009. In 2012, he released his debut album, 'Cole World: The Sideline Story', which placed him on top of the charts with hit-singles, "Nobody's Perfect," "Work Out," and "Can't Get Enough." His sophomore album, Born Sinner, has been given the release date of January 28th, 2013. The first single off the album entitled "Miss America" was released back in November. The song is raw, lyrical, and focuses more on social commentary. I was glad to hear that he was rapping like he was in his mixtapes, rather than focusing on a pop crossover appeal like many rap artists are starting to do. J. Cole is working hard to keep Hip-Hop alive and if "Miss America" is any indication as to what the rest of the album will sound like, then I believe Hip-Hop is in good hands.
2) Lil Wayne, I Am Not a Human Being 2- Lil Wayne had been working on the sequel to his 2010 album, 'I Am Not A Human Being'. It has been scheduled to release on February 19th, 2013. I am interested to see how the album turns out mostly because I think Lil Wayne has been falling off ever since 'Tha Carter III'. Although 'Tha Carter IV' sold over 900,000 in the first week of it's release, it was kind of a let down. It didn't have the same delivery and flow as 'Tha Carter III' and his mixtape 'No Ceilings'. Now with this album, it will be interesting to see if he can come back to reclaim his title as, "The Best Rapper Alive."
3) Big Sean, Hall of Fame - Big Sean crashed onto the scene with his 2011 debut album, Finally Famous, and ever since then there was no stopping him. In 2012, he murdered whatever song he was on whether it was on collaborations with fellow G.O.O.D. Music artists such as, "Mercy" and "Clique," or his own single, "Guap." Big Sean is one of the top rappers out right now with and unmatched delivery and flow. Going into 2013, Big Sean shows no signs of slowing down. His sophomore album, Hall Of Fame, will be released sometime around February 2013 and I'll definitely be one of the firsts in line to get a copy.
4) French Montana, Excuse My French- French Montana set it off in 2012! He kicked off the year with his verse in the street banger, "Stay Schemin'," and then kept us bumping throughout the year with his star-studded single, "Pop That." His second single off the album entitled, "Marble Floors," was released at the end of November of 2012 and was another star-studded hit featuring Rick Ross, Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz. Some people are not fans of French Montana's lyrical skills, but I think he has the flow and collaborations to stay atop most other rap artists in the game. He continues to put out both club and street bangers on a consistent basis with his ear for beats and catchy hooks. French Montana is another artist that shows no signs of slowing down in 2013.
5) G.O.O.D. Music, Cruel Winter- Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music record label was definitely one of the top label's to produce in 2012. The only other record label in my opinion to top G.O.O.D. Music was Rick Ross' MMG. In 2012, GOOD Music made their collaborative studio album entitled, Cruel Summer, containing a list of bangers like the remix to Chief Keef's, "I Don't Like," "Mercy," and my favorite song out right now, "Clique." Big Sean confirmed their sequel to their album, Cruel Winter, to be in the making at the end of 2012. There is no timetable for the sequel's release, but by the title, I would guess it would be sometime this winter. The G.O.O.D. Music artists are excited about the album and so am I. Let's see if G.O.O.D. Music can keep up the momentum in 2013!